NY13 Blog; Retaking NY-13 from Rep. Vito Fossella

Following the corruption, ineffectiveness and hypocrisy of Rep. Vito Fossella.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Revisiting Fossella's intimidation of local blogger

On May 14th I first wrote about a DMCA take down notice I had received;


On May 9th I received a Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) notice from Blogger informing me that someone has claimed an image I have used in a past article is violating copyright laws and that I should remove it from my blog. The image in question is this disgraceful flier Rep. Vito Fossella distributed last election cycle with a picture of Osama bin Laden and Stephen Harrison the democratic candidate. In my original post I note that the image was from Daily Gotham originally however it appears they have not been asked to remove their image.


I want to revisit this, because by this point I expected the final details to be available, however as you can see at chillingeffects.org they are not. This is frustrating because clearly someone was trying to intimidate me into removing the campaign piece from Rep. Fossella by claiming they owned the copy right however never proved to Blogger that this was true. Second there are very few, in fact really just one organization that could claim they own the rights to the image and that it could not be reposted and that is Rep. Fossella and his re-election campaign. So who on his campaign is responsible for this and is this something he encourages?

Follow along on what stories we are working on with updates from Twitter.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should file a counter notice: http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca/counter512.pdf
You're discussing the tactics of a political campaign, to the best of my non-lawyer knowledge, you've got fair use on your side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home